Thursday, October 23, 2008

What a bummer..

Thought I would start a new post for this because it's bugged me all darn day long but I didn't want to cloud my other proud post....as this one makes me not so proud.
I am volunteering at boy1's school on Thursday's and help the teacher with the kids vocab tests. I am so happy to be able to go up there and do something helpful and just be a person there...anyway right back to the point. So I am sitting there with 2 more kids to call up to my little table for their test and on comes the intercom "We have a code red lock down" I immediatly remember the email and phone call I recieved this week letting us parents know that they would be doing drills this week so I don't panic....that is until I realize I have 5 min before I HAVE to leave for my 10am session. "lock down" as in I can't leave!? crap send a little tm to THE man with my 10's number just to let her know I would be late. So ok problem "solved" but as I am sitting there it occurs to me that my sweet little boy is laying there on the floor practicing a code red drill, practicing what he and his other sweet little classmates would do if a gunman were to come into the school. A GUNMAN!? His teacher starts going over with them what they should do if they are not in the classroom when the alarm goes off, and they are to go into the bathroom and sit on the potty with their feet up so the "badman" can't see them. Seriously my 6 year old would have to hover over a potty scared to death alone. I am so NOT ok with that, that is all sorts of wrong. Why the hell are we letting this stuff happen?! I wasn't sure if I was going to cry or scream after I left. I understand that they have to practice this...but what pisses me off is that things have happend making them have to practice what they would do if someone was going to come into their elementary school to start shooting children. Seriously what the hell people. I don't know how to fix it but it's very sad to know that my... OUR children are growing up having "gunmen drills". What in the world is it going to be like when they have kids? It's scary and it's disturbing watching them practice that drill, it's disturbing to know that these sweet innocent little kids have to learn so young these things. I don't fault our school system or the county for teaching them that, I guess I am "glad" they are trying to be prepared. I hate HATE it, I hate that other innocent children have had to really face something so terrifying. I don't care what other people believe about gun laws, something has to change about it...despite people saying it's not the laws and that it's people that don't know gun safety blah blah blah is all I hear...I honestly don't give a rat's ass who is at fault I just want it fixed. I want our kids to be able to go to school and not be worried they are going to be shot. I don't think that's too much to ask.

3 comments:

Angie Morris said...

BIG hugs girl! I didn't realize how "bad" it felt until I went thru the sub training......it's insane but guess that's the world we live in now

Unknown said...

Wow, I didn't even know they did drills for that! That's awful and so scary! *hugs*

Ashley said...

I would have completely freaked seeing Aidan all balled up in case a "gunman" were to come to the school!!! I agree...it's a terrible world...and it's crazy that the only drills we ever knew was for a fire or tornado. Poor kiddos:(

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed