Sunday, October 12, 2008

Car Seats

I am really surprised that I have yet to post about this stuff, but anyone that knows me knows that I am slightly obsessed with car seats. Most people tease me and give me grief but seriously it's not the CAR SEATS it's SAFETY. I know that most people think oh that won't happen, but seriously what if it did. What if it did and you knew better? And I do. How could I forgive myself if something happened to my child because he wasn't properly restrained. I really don't think I could.
And since I know better I feel like it's selfish of me to not help others to know better. Our states do not educate people as they should about proper car seat usage. All the things we learn about germs and drugs and things to keep us safe yet parents are not taught proper car seat usage. Think about how dangerous cars are...the fact that the highest cause of death for children is from a car accident. It's true...from HERE. "Motor vehicle injuries are the leading cause of death among children in the U.S. But many of these deaths can be prevented. Placing children in age- and size-appropriate car seats and booster seats reduces serious and fatal injuries by more than half." Ok so that got your attention do you want to make sure you got it right? I know many people shrug me off but I am serious here and I want to help, imagine how you would feel. That's all I am saying.

Ok so here we go...the basics...
The biggest things to consider...
***Rear-facing past the minimum which for TN that minimum is 1 year AND 20lbs. The new recommendation from the APA is 2 years and 30lbs. I know the argument for many is it will break their legs, you choose...legs or necks. Watch THESE videos to see what I mean.
***Keeping child in 5-pt Harness car seat (NOT booster) past the minimum which for TN that minimumis 4 years AND 40lbs. It's just safe for them to be harnessed safely, snuggly in a harness rather than just the seat belt. Watch


Since that video was made there have been several other seats introduced that will harness much longer, as well as prices coming down on them.

Other things to know.
Chest clips should be at arm-pit level.
Seats should not move more than 1inch from the belt path.
Straps should be snug not loose or twisted.
Shoulder straps should be ABOVE or AT the shoulder if child is forward facing.
Shoulder straps should be BELOW or AT the shoulder if child is rear facing.
High back boosters are better than the low backs and children in TN must be 4'9" and 9 to be out of any type of belt positioning booster.

A car seat does very little good if it's used improperly, which I see 80% of the time. Rarely do I see cars next to me with children strapped in properly. I saw an infant the other day in her rear facing only seat sitting forward, I see children with straps so loose that even in a slight collision they would fly right out of the seat, seats so loose that they would sling the kid all over the car. It's just scary to think what could happen. And since this is one of the few things we can help to prevent, a way we can help keep our children safer for as long as possible why not take a few minutes to make sure it's correct. To make sure we know?

What started this post? I just read a story about an 18month old who was severely injured in a car accident, that injury would have been COMPLETELY avoided if he was rear facing. So his grandfather has posted pleas every place he knows trying to educate and teach others. If you would like to read that you can find that HERE. It's not a myspace hoax. and it's not the only story like that I have read.

Ok PLEASE ask me if you have any questions, want car seat advice or recs. Or just want someone to show you how to do it, how to make sure it's installed right and that it's being done right. I want to help keep those babies and kiddo's safe!!

And I am not trying to scare people but if scaring people gets them to understand how I feel. It's scared me enough to be so passionate about it.

4 comments:

Meredith said...

OK, Rachel.. your timing is perfect! I have been talking to hubby about how we need to spend the money and get the Britax for Connor.. as he is so long and I want him to be in the 5 point for as long as possible. We have an Alpha Omega Elite for Kaya and she is still in the 5 pt. I will be showing Mark this clip which will make him say "OK, you are right honey". Both Mark and I are beyond anal about proper car seat usage, as we have both been in car accidents where our kids would have needed their car seats to work the best they could. I get so frustrated when car seats are not used correctly, as that is all it takes to make them not function correctly. Thanks for posting! Oh, I might be hitting you up for some questions about where to get a Britax cheaper! :)

Kim said...

I could have written this post! I am PSYCHOTIC about the car seats. My husband likes to point out that I'm in fact not a police officer when we're out and I see people with their children improperly strapped in, not strapped in at all, etc. Good post!

Scary Mommy said...

I'm going to check my seats today. Thank you for posting this- it's sooo important.

Amy said...

As a side note, take your vehicle with the car seats in them to the police dept. They have trained and qualified "car seat technicians" (yes it's true. lol and yes. hubby is one of them, so if you get to my house before the 12th of November, he can check it out, if not, you're outta luck with him for a year) but anyhoo, they will check to make sure the car seats are properly installed. :)

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed