So yesterday was hard and it seems this morning is off on the wrong foot already but really there is no reason it should be because nothing happened. Though adjusting to kindergarden for my little guy is hard... for me. Last Friday he lost recess time and center time because he didn't finish coloring the all spots on a sheet on time. Which I get....kinda.. but really I didn't know coloring was a life skill. I mean obviously little dude knows his numbers and his colors and can follow directions (because he was) and is good to go in that regard but for real was it necessary for him to color every single spot--because he's not a fan of coloring, his perfectionism makes it hard for his 5 year old hands, as in he is really slow and his hand gets tired of trying so hard to stay in the lines. But apparently we aren't worried about how well a person does it but how fast and of course that they can color. *headsmack* (which he can color he just doesn't like to because he's s.l.o.w. at it) And then yesterday I went to the school for a super energized fundraiser pep rally thing a majig and as I was watching the guys prepare it occurred to me that maybe this was going to be a bit intense for all these little kindergarden babies that are still adjusting and are going to walk into screaming and woohoo'ing and chaos 7 days into school. At least I knew it might be for mine...and it was. I snagged him after the yelling into the microphone session and he was upset because he thought he had to go on some crazy adventure and totally didn't understand. And it broke my heart just a bit because he's so innocent and little. But then I realized that he so wasn't traumatized and was just totally fine and that maybe this is harder for me than him. And probably he should learn to be a bit less of a perfectionist and that he does need to finish his work in a time frame because I suppose that is a important life skill. But don't make my baby cry and miss recess for coloring in the same week because I am pregnant and all grumpy and whiney and I might cry too.
And while we are on the up swing of my emotional pendulum I will stop right there because if I rant any longer it won't get pretty.
ETA: He did finish his coloring and wasn't the only one (he and 3 other kids missed recess) and apparently did much better on Monday. But I still have the slight desire to march up to the school and say it's ridiculous. But I get it.
No comments:
Post a Comment