So breathe and focus. Breathe and Focus.
Monday, August 8, 2011
Breathe
One of the personal "exercises" I have been working on is breathing. I don't mean literally breathing because obviously not breathing would be well a fatal mistake. And ironically I am having rather a difficult time actually breathing lately but the 2 lb fetus and the 15 lbs of cushion for him aren't helpful. But I digress....by breathing I mean instead of doing the normal routine of OMG this is so stressful omg freak out freak out agggghhh mental thing that goes on in my head when you know things get stressful. Like I wait to the last minute to pack or we are out of dog food or the kids have lots of papers that I can't figure out. The things that are so trivial really but instantly put me in a mental tilta-whirl. So I practice "breathing" and just being calm and focusing on doing just that. Focusing on exactly what it is I need to do and putting one foot in front of the other instead of stepping up on that roller coaster. Read the papers toss what we don't need, read what we do, and move on instead of the tendency to want to throw a mental temper trantrum of throwing it all down and walking away. Or really not even that but allowing myself to get overwhelmed over something so totally doable. And it works....and maybe some don't have to do this but folks I do. I am slowly learning things to help our day roll smoother and that I really can't just "wing it" well not totally true because there is a lot of that going on....but I need to know that in doing that to lower some of my expectations. And it's helped...it is still something I have to work on but I rather enjoy the calmer me. Sure, sure I get fired up about things but certainly not to the extent and I can usually reel myself back in to a normal level of crazy. Because really normal and crazy are probably one in the same. Or at least they overlap a little....no?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I like the "0 thoughts" I should have that hanging on my wall in my office. Breathing is a good thing - staying focused and breathing is even better. It is wonderful to see you becoming more and more of a woman managing a household and a family of soon to be 6. You are awesome and will always be my girlie girl :-) Mom
Post a Comment