Wednesday, August 12, 2009

No they didn't...

Last night we went to Gavin's open house for his school. His teachers were very nice and I am excited for this year for him. But Oh.my.gawd. were the other children in that classroom horrible and I mean horrible. The 2 teachers were trying to talk over these ridiculously rude, rude children...they weren't actually talking but having to yell over them. I couldn't believe it, and even more than that I could not believe that these children's parents said absolutely nothing to them. It was appalling not only the behavior of the kids but of the parents! I was seriously shocked. The kids were screaming, throwing toys, yelling, smacking at each other. It was awful and all the while the parents were ignoring them, not even glancing in their direction. Mind you this classroom is small so it was crazy loud. Finally the teacher stops speaking and yells at the boys to stop which some of them half way did...and at that point a few parents did grabbed their kids and made them sit down. But not one apology to the teachers, and it took the teacher yelling at them for someone to react. I would have been so embarassed. I mean seriously who thought that was ok!? What's more irritating is I see this type of stuff a lot. Kids with ZERO respect for others and who are just down right rude and inconsiderate of others especially adults. I would have been in some serious trouble for that type of behavior! Why is it that now it's "ok" for kids to be just nasty to each other and have not one ounce of respect for other people around them. So many parents are afraid to hurt their kids feelings or make them sad or whatever nonsense they think will happen if they discipline their child. No one is suffering from that other the kid who doesn't learn to deal with things...and of course the people around that child that have to listen to it. God for bid wittle Johnny has his wittle bitty ole feewings huwt because Mommy told him no and to sit down and shut the hell up (though saying it a bit nicer probably works too)...or god forbid Mommy has to actually deal with her kid for 10 min. Since when are kids taught that they just can do and get whatever they want with very little consequences?! It's sad in my opinion. Which doesn't mean much (other than it's the right one ha). I am no perfect parent but I would like to think my kids will grow up with respect for themselves and for others, that they will have decent manners, and not think they deserve things just because. (which is something we are working on now--Jakeb has a slight "buy me a new toy" addiction) and I hope that they not only grow up that way but I hope they behave that way as children too...because who wants kids no one can stand to be around?
In fear of sounding like my own mother I think many parents are just too busy, too busy and/or distracted to deal with their kid so instead they let them do just about whatever they want. I am certainly guilty of this plenty but I try to keep it to a minimum. No one is perfect but I think people need to take a step back and look at the bigger picture.
And obviously those kids last night really ticked me off...I was floored. It was just unnerving the way those parents just sat there ignoring them....and just down right wrong. Kids will be kids but parents need to be PARENTS right along with them.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed