Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Too cool for School.

Gavin is home from school today---making this his 3rd absence since school started a little over a month ago.  Frankly that's not a good start but pretty much what I expected.  I did have hopeful ideas that he would at the very least make it until October....but alas no realistic expectations.  If history gives us anything it's that the fall is the worst for the little blonde boy and his asthma.  So while it's not quite fall just yet in past times September seems to be the worst.  So he's cough, cough, cough and a wee bit wheezy.  He is also getting an extra pass because he was drugged up with night time meds at 5:45 this morning by mistake.  Oops.  I did not make this mistake (duh) but it is an easy one to make and really no biggie.  But it did guarantee Mr. Coughy Pants a day at home so he's not complaining.
I am not exactly sure why all 3 of our kiddo's have had some sort of lung issue at some point in their lives.  Jakeb did the asthma thing until about Gavin's age and it seems to have disappeared and we have no problems with him.  I would say for the most part he doesn't get sick but I am scared to say that and also remember last year when he had the flu twice.  I will however say that when he does get sick the wheezy thing he did as a little guy doesn't happen and aside from the flu and strep he seems to hold his own pretty well.   Zachary ironically has been the healthier of the three despite his hospital stay and stomach bug fiasco's....yet he still has done the wheezing/coughing thing just to a lesser degree.  Which leads me to believe that some where in the genetic pool jacked up lungs is just par for the course for our kiddo's.  All be it temporary....my mother would probably fuss at me for saying "jacked up lungs" and "our kiddo's" in the same sentence.  I suppose a nicer way to put it would be you know slower lungs?  Like lungs that aren't quite sure how to work right until they are older.  I am really hoping Nolan breaks the mold...my initial instinct is to be all like "I will do everything I can to not have another kiddo that has to deal with this too...." so let's figure out all the precautions to help prevent it.  Then I go oh wait....we already did that.  We don't smoke (ahem...Mom--you get roughly 2 months to kick the habit--again)  So the babes are not around that or held by smokers (ahem) and they were breastfed for like ever and delayed solids and all that jazz.  We do have pets but I am pretty sure that's not the cause since we have been down that road before....which just goes right back to the theory of jacked up lungs and the genetic pool.  Which I suppose makes sense really...my bro is a pretty heavy duty asthma guy and Robert is all about some seasonal (year long?) allergies.  I am a pretty healthy one--but colds do seem to like to hang out in the breathing region of my body when I do get them.
The boys have friends who miss like no school ever and I am all like "how do you do that?!?!" wow.  Of course then I find out friend came to school sick--which explains how my kid got sick, thank you very much.  Yay for your attendance award but here's our doctor bill, mmmk?  Oh wait and here are his brothers as well...just saying.  Right so moving on...I wish I could nix the gene that jacked up the lungs but alas no can do.   If anyone else has a better theory please share...or even better a fix?!   But also I will say this seems to be a very common problem with a lot of kiddo's...like 74% of homes have nebulizers and inhalers and the like. (just so you know I totally made up that statistic) So maybe it's not only our genetic pool...it's something though and I am not a fan.  As I listen to cough, cough, cough coming from the couch.  Not to mention pausing to catch his breath between words when he talks to me.  Oy.  Being that he just told me "It's ok...breath...if you...breath...give...breath...me the...breath...nebulizer....breath...right now....breath,cough, cough"  I should probably stop my ranting and medicate my kiddo....oy.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed