Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Good for something

Yesterday the boys were out of school...for "Teacher work day and Conferences" aka Go Vote! Which for the record Robert and I are feeling rather guilty for not voting. But in our defense we couldn't...we have yet to register to vote and honestly it snuck up on us--so yeah. Anyway.
They were home--actually they were all home Monday as well and Jakeb is home today again. He's not feeling well and Monday just seemed like a good day to let Zachary stay home--both his brothers were and well I just wanted to keep him home, so I did.
But yesterday I had the boys come into the basement/toy room and we cleaned and organized everything. Something we had not done since we moved everything down there. And being that I like organization that's what we did. This resulted in tears of course but I reminded them that they will find long lost toys and it will be easier to play and get to things if it's put away like it should be. And I will have you know that Jakeb told me Thank you not once but like 3 times yesterday. As in "Thank you for helping us organize and clean up our toys"...3 times. This after shedding many tears. Yes, yes I know he's sick but he was really just sitting sorting Lego's from Bionicles. Which also made him realize they have "too many Lego's".
I sort thru their toys often....we toss, sell, and give what they don't play with a lot. So really we don't have odds and ends floating around--at least not for long. We aren't hitting fast food very often these days so dinky kid's meal toys aren't floating around for months and we don't buy new toys often. But I still think they have a lot of toys...most of which they rarely play with...but seriously in comparison to what most kids have they don't. We have lots of Lego's, lot's Bionicles, and lots of Hot Wheels. We don't have multiple game systems and buckets of toys upon buckets of toys. Sometimes I feel bad because they don't have as much as other kids--but then I remind myself that it's by choice that they don't. Sometimes I get caught up trying to keep up..."Little Billy has that toy?? Well by golly you should too!" and then I remind myself that we don't buy it because it's not what I want them to know. Not to mention that because I go thru their toys a lot, I also see how much money has been wasted on toys and it's a lot. Like A LOT. Because they just don't use it, don't need it, and don't care. So instead of getting caught up in keeping up--I clean up and remember why we choose not to buy. That's not what we want them to learn.


And instead I buy them clothes. Because they soooo need 47 pairs of blue jeans. I promise. And I also promise I am working on that too.

and also these pictures are from last year at our old house.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed