My other grandfather Pappy is alive but he is sick. He has bladder cancer. He is dying. My grandmother, his wife of 50+ years passed away 2 years ago. The past 2 years have been very hard on him. She was his rock, always. About 6 or so months ago we found out about the cancer and it was decided that treatment was not possible. He is a paraplegic and is no longer able to get in and out of the bed. When he was 23 he was in a car accident that paralyzed him...that was 50 years ago. I have known him no different. When we were kids we would pile up in his lap and he would wheel us around. He would sit on the porch and throw football with my brothers and cousin. We were with my dad's parents a lot growing up. Now that I am older I realize how very much a part of my childhood they were, how instrumental they were and continue to be to me. I am sad. Sad that both of them will be gone. Sad that my grandfather is sad. Sad that his is sick. Sad that my father can't see that. That this is it. I just hung up the phone with him and instead of thinking about loosing his father he is thinking about himself. I am not shocked, but I am sad. I am frustrated. I want to scream at him "Your father is DYING! Instead of worrying about you worry about him, for just a little while longer...give him that, because he deserves it so very much!" My father is a blog all on his own, a story a day. I try to be patient and understanding with him because, well because he is he is him. And I know why he is the way he is but it doesn't make it any less frustrating.
Please say prayers for my grandfather. He is sick. He is sad. Some cool things about him. He played wheelchair basketball after he was hurt. He has traveled all over the world with the team. He is in the WheelChair Basket Ball Hall of Fame. Something he is very proud of, he is a wonderfully kind soft hearted sentimental man. I miss him, he isn't gone but he's changed. His spark isn't the same. As many know a good deal of what used to be their property was sold and turned in to Arrington Vineyards. somehow it was arranged for the founder of the vineyard (which is next to their house) Kix Brooks of Brooks & Dunn to come down and visit with my grandfather. He did this a week or so ago, I was impressed and so happy for my grandfather. Kix apparently thought highly of Pappy and decided to come back down and play a little for him, on his own personal time. This I know was a neat time for him and I can't wait to hear about it! Truth be told I couldn't tell you one song by Brooks and Dunn since I am not much of a country fan but I know this was great for Pappy. While Kix was there he mentioned knowing someone at the local news station who may be interested in doing a Human Interest story about Pappy. We have yet to heard what/when this will happen but I know they have contacted him regarding it, and I am so excited for him! When I was a little girl in 3rd grade or so we had to write a book about someone we admired and I chose Pappy...his life is neat for certain. He has lived in Nashville his entire life and has lots of stories to tell.
Please say prayers and good thoughts for him. That he doesn't suffer and that his saddness lifts some. And that he knows how much we appreciate him and love him.
My Grandpa and I in May of 2005
This is Pappy and I at my wedding.
1 comment:
Nick and I will be praying for Pappy. Please keep us posted on his condition. That is cool about his visit from Mr. Brooks.
Post a Comment