Monday, September 29, 2008

Patton Road

Is where we spent the majority of our weekend and I am mighty happy about doing just that. I know you haven't heard of it but it's this fabulous little home away from home for me. My grandparents house/farm...aka "the hill" aka Lilac Hill. It's really nothing special to everyone else...just a cool rock house on the corner. But to me it's so much more than that. It's been the one constant in my life, the one place I could always, always go back to. It houses a great deal of memories for me...my brothers and I romping around the entire place..."the nature trail", "the big hole", "the hay barn" "the creek" "the railroad tracks"....so many "the's" that we had coined. Now a good portion of the entire place has been sold and converted to THIS--Arrington Vineyards. That picture of the driveway is where I used to stand to catch the bus, that "tasting room" used to be our living room....to bad it wasn't that fancy schmancy when we lived there hehe. Either way it's pretty cool to see it transformed into what it is today. My Aunt had that house built when I was little and it stayed within the family until it was sold 10 or so years ago to another family who then sold it to the vineyard who also acquired other pieces of the property. There are vines growing all over "the hill" and they have some tasty wines at the house that we have tried. Surprisingly Robert and I have yet to actually go to the vineyard. It's on our long list of "things to do" sans kids.
I do hope "Lilac Hill" will remain to be the one place for me...I am having to try to come to terms with the fact that it may not be and it's very very hard for me to do...especially after spending a gorgeous weekend there.

1 comment:

Angie Morris said...

That is such an awesome story! My g-ma's house was that way for me too and it sucks when it's gone....BIG HUGS Rae Rae!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed