Thursday, September 4, 2008

Where's the Manual?

We are facing new issues here at the B house....school. Last year was kindergarten and kindergarden (now is it with a d or a t?) is easy so it was like no big deal...he went, he did his thing, he came home...all was well. Fast forward to now...first grade. How big of a deal IS first grade anyway? Is that listed in the manual because that's my first question. Mr. Jakeb is having some difficulty with math, however I know he's not mathematically challenged but either way he has now brought home 3 papers with "failing" grades on them aka "U". The paper today was really quite ridiculous because he missed 2+1...seriously he missed it. Now as a college grad (haha I love saying that)--because of course you don't know 2+1 unless you are a college grad...right anyway-- I want to be like come on are you kidding me!? It's 2+1, duh. But I really tried not to say that...however he's known it for a while and I know he does...my guess is that he is rushing thru his work, in fact he has told me this. I keep trying to explain to him that he has grades and tests now and that it's different then kindergarden but now he says he doesn't like school because he does bad on his papers. Great! Not the effect I was going trying to achieve. So he's not ever been a fan of school, he wants to be home playing with his toys and of course now the Wii (because really he needed more distractions). I know the kid is smart, he has 100's on every single thing he brings home except the math stuff. I know he knows it but has gotten confused on some things apparently. Like the paper today was 4+0, 3+2, 3+0 etc...he missed everything that wasn't +0. Which makes me think he just raced thru it looked at one number and wrote it down. Maybe they do math at the end of the day or before playtime? Or maybe he really just doesn't get it. Or maybe there is a chapter on this in the manual. Because I am not quite sure how to tackle it just right, because with Jakeb there is a fine line of too much or not enough...case in point as to why he now doesn't like school. I guess I need to email the teach again...but am trying not to put the cart before the horse and now label him as "having problems" when it's only being 3 papers...BUT what if I just delay it more and it would be better to jump in now? Gah the decisions!

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed