Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Domestic-ish

While spending the weekend at "the Hill" I thought it would be a nice treat to my family to prepare nice-ish meals for us...good ole Southern make ya fat food for all of us (aren't I nice?). Really I wanted to try to fix some of my grandmothers meals for my grandfather....or at least try to. Friday afternoon the neighbor brought Okra by like he does every year and has for quite some time now. So Sunday I thought I would prepare it up like I know my grandmother did....So I chopped and washed....
Smothered it in cornmeal and fattening oils to get this.... not too bad and tasted just about right...


I then thought I would make her homemade biscuits...drug out the recipe and was off to a good start til I realized there was no "self-rising" flour as it called for...but I thought it would be ok..so on I went...
Zachary helped me cut them out...they looked nice...Then they cooked....and of course they didn't rise...and they didn't fluff...and they had NO flavor...Bye, bye homemade biscuits...we didn't need the extra carbs anyway...oh wait we ate the frozen ones instead...And of course our "main course" the Tenderloin...which turned out near perfect, tender, juicy, nice flavor...the gravy however was a flop as I expected it to be. But 2 out of 4 was decent right? Really the picture just doesn't do it justice...
So there you have my play by play attempt at southern domestication...as I type this in my t-rashed house.

2 comments:

Angie Morris said...

Girl I think you did an awesome job! Sure looks yummee!

Ashley said...

I love me some greasy fried okra:) It looks like you did great!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed