Last Wednesday at roughly 9:30 central time he passed away at home in his sleep. Just like he wanted. I felt very torn when I got the phone call that night, instantly sad and instantly relieved. He no longer was sad and suffering. Over the weekend I spent copious amounts of time trying to figure out why I didn't feel overwhelmed with sadness...reflecting on my grandfather and his life. His life in my life. And all I could do was smile. I realized that I wasn't feeling intense sadness because my grandfather was a respected, well lived, and well loved man. He lead a very long life for a paraplegic and has 2 children, 5 grandchildren, and 3 great-grandchildren. We all love him tremendously and will miss him greatly.
When he was in his early 20's--I believe 24. He was in a car accident that left him paralyzed. He at the time had 3 small children and was in the Air Force. Times certainly got difficult emotionally and physically but instead of letting it get the best of him. He did the opposite--he became very involved in Wheel-chair sports. Won the gold medal for archery in the wheel chair Olympics, became a member of the wheel chair basketball hall of fame. --Side note--you must watch a wheel chair basketball game, they are amazing-- He continued working and raised 3 children. His middle child passed away at 18 and this again was devastating for the family. Shortly they moved from Nashville to the farm in Arrington. From here they helped raise 5 grandchildren and became very much a part of their lives. When I was 11 I wrote a book about Pappy and his life. I vaguely remember writing it but I am so thankful my grandmother saved it all these years. It lists amazing things about him--his 8 brothers and sisters, his blonde curls that weren't cut until he was 3 or 4 years old, the chores he did as a child. Memories like this are what make me happy...the hundreds of pictures I scrolled thru while making the video for the funeral did nothing but make me smile and remember the wonderful man we were so fortune to have in our lives. I can't believe he's gone. We love you very much Pappy!
When I told the boys about Pappy's death the very first thing Jakeb said was..."Well....he's with his beautiful wife now." and how very right he is. His wife, his son, and his granddaughter.
1 comment:
I find you to be one of the strongest people I know, Rae. I love you and your outlook on things :)
Post a Comment