Friday, February 11, 2011

Sunshine and Strep

Jakeb woke up bright and early yesterday complaining of a sore throat. Not good, but kiddo had no fever and said he was fine for school. As in he wanted to go to school--which is a foreign idea to me but more power to him. That's awesome. However he returns from school yesterday stating that his throat hurts a little but he feels just fine otherwise....yet he winced in pain every time he swallowed. He insisted he's fine and a quick forehead check led me to believe he was indeed fever free. Two hours later he comes dragging into the living room and says he really feels bad now and that he needs to lay down. Genius mom that I am I chose to forego the trusty forehead check and busted out the themometer and sho enough kid is sporting a decent little fever. Ugh. I track down a walk-in clinic (his peds office was closed already) because I am suspecting strep and we just need a quick test and some meds and we are good to go. So yes--kiddo has strep, which means I am sure that's what I have/had--they didn't test me for it but treated me as if I had it. Awesome. Sorry North Georgia for being out and about infecting all of you.
All of that being said we are enjoying the sunshine. It's supposed to be in the 60's this weekend and full of sun. This is for real awesome. Mr. Zachario's birthday is tomorrow. His is the first birthday of the year so it's a big deal--he's the kick off birthday, before they start rolling in one after the other. Wam bam thank you mam. His gifts are bought and wrapped. We don't get too wild with birthday gifts--really we don't get too wild with gifts at all. It's not what it's about folks. It being, you know, LIFE. Some days I want to run out and buy my kiddo's everything there little hearts desire but most days I don't....most days I hope their experiences in life give them that. But gifts are fun so Zman has a few of course and Gavin was excited to help pick them out and has been a very good secret keeper. Zachary is a hard guy to buy for--he isn't a toy maniac and he is relatively practical in what he asks for. (Remember at Christmas he asked for a notebook and bed sheets--I promise he has both!) He was so excited for today at school he couldn't sleep. I made Cake Pops for his class and he is excited to bring them--and I think excited that his mom is cool like that and makes them for him even though she really doesn't like making them. They aren't especially hard but a bit of a process and they like to do things like fall off the stick or drip candy coating that doesn't melt right all over the place....basically I haven't perfected it. But the boys love bringing them so I do it--because he's so excited he couldn't sleep. Reason enough. Robert helped this go around because I don't need to serve Strep Pops. That would not be cool. So I am excited for him and excited that I am feeling better so that I can bring them to him and his class, because he got up and dressed in record time and hugged me 934342 times this morning. Because he's cool like that.

And for the record my cake pops look nothing like linked cake pops...mine are mishappen and wonky and lumpy but 1st graders don't care about perfection--they care about sugar. Even if they did care about perfection they wouldn't get it from me.

1 comment:

Mommy of THREE little MONKEYS said...

Ainslee's birthday is tomorrow too! Cant believe she will be 2, we arent big on presents either, actually I havent gotten any for her, and havent even thought of cake ideas yet! OOOPS! (im a bad mommy). Hey maybe you can make a couple extra cake pops, that look fabulously delicious BTW, and send them on over here. ummmmm sounds like a great idea to me. Oh you could even test out your GF cake making skills so I could have a bite. YUM!
Anyways, hope he and the class enjoyed them! and that he has a GREAT birthday!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed