Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Follower

One of the little facts about myself that I like to pretend doesn't exist is that I may tend to be a bit of a mental follower. I have mentioned over the course of my 3+ year blogging stint that I have some issues with comparing myself to others. Other parents other women...and basically that's all because I don't compare myself to anything else--I don't compare. Duh. Anyway. Well in my comparison's I often find myself thinking "Self: Judy cleans her house on Tuesday--that's a good idea maybe you should too..." Or "Self: Susy sends sweet love notes in her kids lunch boxes..." Or "Self: Betty wakes bright and early, exercises, feeds the dogs, packs lunches, prepares a glorious breakfast, and showers....maybe you should too!" You know where I am going with this--I obviously am not Judy, Susy, or Betty (who are of course fictional but not) so I don't do these things. Yet I end up feeling like poo. Which is really unfair to Me.
Yesterday was a pretty crummy day--in fact my eyes are puffy today from all the mental crying and whining I did. I dropped the ball on the Super Mommy award I was trying to achieve and lost my crap on Gavin because get this....He can't read. Genius. He's a smart kid--he's 4 he knows his letters and the sounds they make. Easy peasy...let's read! I went thru this with Jakeb (Zachary just got it some how...lucky for him) The realization that C-A-T spells cat doesn't just click for some kids. That whole blending thing or something. Sure he sounded each letter out and instead of bingo bamo CAT! He laughed and laughed and giggled uncomfortably because someone kept insisting he sound it out again and again. No dice and more giggling. Let's just say we both stopped giggling. Not good. So today when I am reading this or reading that and trying to have a better day I am again realizing one of the things I need to get to click in my head. Is that while I am not Susy, Judy, or Betty--I am Rachel and I am full of my own good qualities. I don't wake early and perfect my makeup before my husband or kids even begin stirring--but I do make sure they eat and have lunches or at the very least $ for it--I make sure their clothes match and their hair is combed. I don't clean on Tuesday and dust probably sits on the picture frames longer than it should. But my house is comfortable and pretty close to clean most days. And the people in it are happy. I don't send love notes in my kids lunches but I spend 2 days a week at the school copying and filing for each of their teachers and help anyway they ask. As well eat lunch with them pretty darn often.
I can't teach my kid to read at home and yet my kids read better than most kids their age. Because while I don't know that *I* taught them we certainly help...they get books read to them every night and have since infancy. We do teach them.
So somewhere in there my point is I need to accept ME. Not compare and not try to set myself up for following failure. Then only to start thinking of all the ways I don't add up. *headslap* Change is good, most definitely and I am always looking for ways to help "self improve" or make my life more like a well oiled machine. But it's not always realistic and I need to remember to step back and see that. Know who I am and what are my strong points. I know I have them but often I forget. Though I should at least be exercising.

Besides all that who are we kidding I am pretty sure Betty is perfectionist by day...alcoholic by night.

3 comments:

chandra said...

It's hard not to compare, yourself, your kids abilities, your house...whatever. We all do it. I think you've found the key though, accept and focus on what you do well and don't worry about the rest. I'm slowly learning that lesson myself, and enjoying the learning process. It's nice not to worry as much about measuring up to everyone else, especially when you think they might be working just as hard to measure up to you.

Oh, and Betty, definitely an alcoholic, control freak wound so tight she forgets to have fun with her family. ;)

Kim said...

You don't need to be Betty. You probably don't really want to either. Betty is so worried about what everyone thinks about her she can't relax. You have too much fun to be Betty. I'd rather my kids remember playing and doing things together. They're not going to care or notice that there's dust on the picture frame.

Now I just need to remind myself of these tidbits. Because I spend a lot of time trying to be Betty!

Sarah said...

You are right, everyone compares themselves to the people they see around them. Whenever I find myself doing it I try to remember "the grass is not always greener on the other side". Most people just like to appear that their lives are perfect. Lots of times people only talk about the good, not the bad.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed