Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Cha-ching

Something that seems to come up quite frequently when we mention that we are adopting is the cost. It's really no secret that the cost of adopting isn't low. Any quick search will give you some rough estimates of what one can expect to spend to bring a new child home.
Though aside from birthing your child at home I am fairly certain that one spends roughly the same amount having a child. What is unfortunate is that insurance does not cover adoption. Though being that the end result is the same it makes sense that maybe it should. When Jakeb was born I requested an itemized copy of the bill from the hospital--I just wanted it for reminiscing and giggling at the cost of things "back in the day". I don't remember the exact amount but it wasn't little. Also when Zachary was hospitalized a few years ago that bill was well over what we will spend to bring a new child or 2 home. Either way the fact remains that I would spend 20 grand a DAY on each child of mine if I had to.
That being said I get the concern and the questioning--but now that we are in process it's different. So for those wondering--we would have never started this process if we didn't have at least a general plan of how we would see it through. We have been very fortunate this past year and this is what we have chosen to do. In addition to paying off debt and getting in a better financial spot we are very eager to have another child or children in our lives. Very eager. We know the ramifications of having a larger family--as best we can at this point. We know that means more mouths to feed and cloth and educate. But every single bit of that is worth what we will have, what all of our children will have. Compassion, love, understanding, acceptance, and the list goes on and on. I think about it and all I can come up with is. Wow. Wow. I know it won't be picture perfect and I know that there will be ups and downs but I know we will do our very best.
So please if you know us, don't doubt us. Don't doubt our ability to love or our ability to afford this. Just know we are doing it and we will do it to the best of our ability. And we need your support and your love. Not your doubt. Check that at the door. And if you can't....well that's your loss really. Just keep it to yourself if you don't mind. Love us and love our children all of them. You won't be sorry I promise. They are fabulous...even the ones that aren't here yet. I just know it. With every fiber of my being I know this is right. It's right for us.

2 comments:

chandra said...

Isn't it amazing (in a not so good way) when people feel like they should discuss your finances with you? We experienced the same during our IF journey.

Carrie said...

Amen to that!!!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed