Friday, June 4, 2010

Dumb Dumb

Gavin has been doing some serious patience trying...oh...for the past 3 years. Pretty sure he was a fantastic baby. Today at lunch we hit a break through....as he sat crying because I told him to take one more bite of his food and to swallow it. I stomped up from the table exasperated and feeling like the kid is just slow or something because really it's sit there and cry with a massive wad of food in your mouth for the next whenever to prove some point I refuse to accept--because afterall he's 4-- or swallow the damn bite of food, get up from the table, and go play. I mean I am no genius but I am pretty sure the answer is obvious. The choice should be clear, however Gavin is so stuck on showing me he's boss he doesn't see the obvious...that and he's 4. And I am fairly confident the most stubborn hard headed 4 year old in existence. In fairness I am quite stubborn but at 4 I don't know that I let my true colors show quite as much as this child does.
Anyway our break through hit when I snapped...I couldn't help it this is a daily idiotic battle....I had had enough and I told him he was sitting there being dumb about the whole thing. That it was just dumb for him to sit there crying over this when he could just swallow the dang bite and get up. Duh. He of course acted all indignant and insulted and yelled at me for saying he was dumb. But I corrected him and reminded him I didn't say he was dumb but he was ACTING dumb. He paused for 2 seconds thought then swallowed his food and got up. Finally he got it! and all it took was me telling him he was being dumb for it to make sense because I had certainly explained this to him umpteen times. If I had known that I would have resorted to name calling years ago!

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed