Monday, June 28, 2010

AmicaLOLA

This weekend we ventured out to the great outdoors to begin the quest of "Explore Georgia". This quest will likely take the rest of forever--but new state=new parks and new adventures. We set our sites on Amicalola Falls--we have been passing the signs for it for months, since before we even found our house. On the Georgia State Parks website Robert discovered Geocaching. Geocaching I had heard of but for whatever reason never thought to tell Robert about it--too cool I suspect. Never the less I told him about it and we decided to give it a whirl. We packed lunches and headed out. After a few trips around the park and much map reading and discovering that our GPS's aren't really apt for geocaching we found our box. Then took off to explore the park! Had a fantastic time, I could have wandered around forever. Our little hikers however are walking whiners and were done 5 min after finding the box. Actually Jakeb and Zachary did great--Gavin began whinefest #342131 immediatly upon stepping foot out of his bed for the day. The falls are neato schmeato and definitely a place we will go to again! For now we are on to the next park! Can't beat $5 for a day of exploration for the entire fam. Some snaps from the day...
I spent about 10 min sitting by the water playing with camera settings...the "rock" the water is rushing over is actually a tree that is across the creek...pretty cool how it cut right thru it.
at the bottom of Amicalola falls
bottom of Amicalola falls
Zachary in water
Robert and Gavin stopped halfway down to the bottom of the falls and headed back up to get the car--no way all 3 boys (and shamefully myself likely to be included) would have made it back up the 500 stairs down. My camera is on a rock here
Jakeb, me, Zachary
Another crazy Georgia bug...
centipede or milipede--or crazy bug
A decent shot of Jakeb's new do
Jakeb
500 steps down--the see thru-ness made Jakeb and I queasy!
500 steps to the bottom
Water rushing under foot...
water under our feet
Looking up the falls which continued down under our feet the rest of the mountain
looking up the falls
If you stay at the lodge there that's the view you wake up to..well the one behind the boys
The view
Zman taking a break--turned to see him like this. See he really is that cool...
seriously...
He's that cool
The fam damily with our geocach box
our first geocach trip
The guys proud of their find!
found it!
Walking up to find our box...camera is on the trail
self family portrait
Walking with the neat stick Robert found..
Jakeb and Zachary
This is Gavin's whining face...telling me he's too tiiirreddd to waaaaalllkkk
Gavin's whine face
Just a cute shot...
3 boys

1 comment:

Kim said...

Great photos! Chris and I were talking about geocache-ing(?!) just the other day and how we'd like to try it. I think the boys would love it!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed