Monday, November 28, 2011

Shock and Awe

Still pretty much rolling around in disbelief that we have another little baby in the house...another person of us to care for and love. He is currently snoozing away in his swing--which is where he sleeps if he is not in our arms, which is probably creating a bad habit of sorts but whatever he won't be sleeping in his swing when he's 5 so for now it's what's happening. Jakeb and Zachary are down the street playing at a friends house and Gavin is in the living room with the little girl from next door smacking around a balloon. Tomorrow Nolan will be 3 weeks and very soon he will be one whole month old and holy cow really? I am feeling much better these days than I was when I was doing all that whining and I am grateful for that. I am anxious to get the ball rolling on Christmas shopping and am feeling more comfy to take Nolan out in brief spurts here and there so we may venture out once or twice this week. So far his only trips out in public have been to the dr. Actually we did hit up a movie this past week with the boys--he slept thru it all in the Moby perfectly content. Hmm I guess we also did go to Zachary's football banquet where he also camped out in the Moby...so he's been out but on a limited basis. I tortured myself and tried on a pair of prebaby jeans...that was uh not cool. I should have known better though--because while I have lost over half of what I gained I haven't lost THAT much. Duh. Even if the jeans that I was wearing ARE my jeans I wore right after all 3 big boys were born, ho hum. At his last little Dr. visit he was up to 8lbs 1oz....so he's trucking along like he should! We had multiple appts for him recently--something I didn't mention previously because I was probably too scared to type it out. At his 3 day visit he was down to 6lbs 12oz so the dr. (who rocks) had us come back in for a weight check the following Monday. His weight was fantastic and he had gained 9oz in the 3 day span, but I had noticed a little tiny "bump" on his abdomen, in his diaper area but on his stomach that really just looked like a baby acne spot but it was a little inflamed looking. So I knew I wanted to ask the Dr about it...but Monday morning it looked worse and no longer just looked like a baby acne spot. The dr. said yep looks like staph...gasp...he popped and cultured it. While it was still pretty tiny it was a concern, we were told to treat it with antibacterial soap wash 2x a day and neosporin 4x a day. Meanwhile the culture came back showing "light growth of MRSA". So yeah I was a bit panicky about it...staph infections in newborns can get bad but it seems we managed to get it at the right time and all is just fine with him. Dr. said it likely came from the hospital thru his umbilical cord stump OR his circumcision. It never got nasty looking and really cleared up just as quickly as it came. Now just dealing with a slight diaper rash and some itty bitty skin irritation from the antibacterial soap. I have spent more time worrying over it than is probably necessary but it scared me and I am glad it's all clearing up like it should. Can't believe we are fast approaching December already and that Thanksgiving has already come and gone. We had a nice Thanksgiving here at home with just us and my mom....we whipped up some food and waited much too long for our turkey to be done but overall had a great dinner and a very relaxing day.

2 comments:

Kim said...

I love your updates and am so envious of a snuggly new baby. I wish you still lived here so I could bring you dinner and snuggle that little love!

Rachel said...

Aww! Thank you! I would totally let you snuggle this little guy all up...i still can't believe we get to!

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed