Monday, September 21, 2009

Pig Flu

When all things started flying around about this "new flu" my first reaction was that the media was making it way worse than necessary. I mean if I read the facts people die from the flu every year thousands of them actually. Then the more it got going the more nervous I started feeling. After all I have a asthmatic 3 year old, a 7 year old that was asthmatic when he was younger, and a 5 year old who has asthmatic tendencies. They fall into a different "risk group". So I called and I did my research, saw dozens of people on my facebook come down with it and decided I would rest easy as it seems to be much milder than originally portrayed for most, nearly all cases. Friends children have had it and are back to school after 5 days or so.
Though the rumors are nearly humorous...my favorite from an unnamed source...that the CDC will come quarantine. Thank you media. Job well done. Americans are terrified. And not just of President Obama.
Every single thing I read says to treat it like the regular flu, treat as usual. Motrin, Tylenol, tamiflu if you can get your hands on it. Though good luck because it's flying out the doors before they can get it on the shelf.
Now having said all this Jakeb has the flu. It's here. And I would be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. Nervous for all 3 of them, though Jakeb --who is currently playing the Wii--seems to be pretty a-ok provided we keep him doped up on Motrin. Gavin's breathing issue bring another concern but we'll keep close tabs on them.
And for the record Jakeb can return to school after 24hrs of no fever--as is the rule for any illness. We are not quarantined by the CDC, Zachary is at school, and we have had to call over town to find Tamiflu. And Robert gets to stay home from work.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Well said! I am SO tired of the media causing mass worry about crap like this! Granted, people in higher risk groups need to take more precaution. However, the reason the kids are getting it more is because their little bodies don't have as many immunities as grown ups. BUT, just like the "regular" flu, you treat the symptoms. *Most* people that die, are actually dying from dehydration. Not the pig.

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed