Thursday, May 5, 2011

Missing.

The past few weeks I have noticed that I am starting to miss the comforts of "home". I am missing TN and all the comforts I had there. All the things I took for granted. I knew my way around, I knew where to take my kids for haircuts, for dentists visits, for check-ups....for a day of play. I don't know that here and getting into a routine with that is tough. The town we lived in in TN I always thought was lacking in kid friendly activities...sure we had a few parks and you know...a children's museum...an indoor pool with a playground. And "big city" was just up the road. Yet I still thought it wasn't enough. But now...I live in a town where I can't find those things. Oh yes we are in a big city (without the quotes!) but big city is overwhelming and 45+ minutes away and often thru traffic...I can't zip on down to the children's museum or the zoo. Like I could in TN. I have found parks and that's about it. I have googled and come up relatively blank. We live close to roughly 4 towns which should give a broad range of options but I just can't find them. I haven't even found a pediatrician I love...though I think I came close last week...but we'll see! I did at least find one to avoid. (advice to peditricians: talk to parents...duh...if you have zilch for bed side manor you might find yourself with zilch for patients too. Just a thought)
Thing is is I know most of these things are found via word of mouth. Ask other parents get to know other moms...oh sure easy enough. I even joined a little play group last summer...but problem is. I don't have toddlers and playgroup age kids any more. This particular group was chalk full of new mommies with babies and toddlers. Odd man out. I have met parents at the boys school and soccer games but just basically suck at saying "hey you wanna kick it sometime?" In fact now that I think of it the few friends I have made are thanks to Robert who said here..."a new friend!" My social skills are sub par, er well actually I am friendly and chatty and all that but forming new meaningful friendships isn't really something I excel at. So now I miss my close friends and my comfort of home and knowing what the heck to do with my kids this summer. Because while the idea of crafting and projects at home sure is a nice one...I also know it really just doesn't work for us very often. See: Rachel freaks out. And lounging by the pool is certainly going to happen a lot I also know that every.single.day of chlorine and sun will get to be a lot.
So I need to shove myself yet again outside that nice little bubble of comfort....
And today Gavin goes for a check-up...this is the easy part.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed