Monday, December 6, 2010

{Made}

So I found this little writing prompt project. Maybe it will help "prompt" me. Follow little link dude over there to read more or participate too.

So prompt numero uno (which is actually prompt 6 but I am a late starter. Duh.) "Make. What was the last thing you made? What materials did you use? Is there something you want to make, but you need to clear some time for it?"

A hundred ways to take this. Something I made. Well I am making this post. I made the decision to make this post. I made a phone call. I made cream of wheat for myself for breakfast. All of this I did so by using myself and my brain. My hands.
I am not particularly crafty. I tried to make curtains. That was a flop. I helped Jakeb make his project for school. That was not a flop. Last night I helped the boys make a gingerbread house. That was a flop. We used candies, icing, and of course the little pre-made pieces that came with the kit to assemble the house. Every year I buy a gingerbread house and every year I realize I just don't like them. Messy and gooey and messy. But the kids. Yes the kids enjoy them so I do it. I have realized that I am really sucking the joy right out of this activity, that is no good of me. I will work on it. I am working on it.

There are dozens of things I would love to make. But time and energy and patience are not in abundance for me so I just don't. I think oh that could be fun...no, no some day. Now is now the time for me to start 97 projects I can't complete. Martha Stewart I am not. What's funny about this is that sometimes I long for more "Martha'ness" I mean after all I am stay at home Mom to little kids. It's not like I never have down time because I so do. But I need it to do things like this post--and to eat more chocolate. I don't have time for scrap-booking, crafty lunch kits, spray painting picture frames, and reupholstering furniture. Once I decide if it's actually worth my time to do those sort of things or just read about folks that do. I have this perfectionism problem that keeps me from doing aforementioned activities. But I would like time, I just need to make it.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed