When Robert and I began this parenting venture going on 8 years ago, I know we both didn't envision letting our kids run wild and be utterly disrespectful. And up until recently I was thinking we were right on track the kids were relatively polite and respectful. However it's come to my attention that they are growing increasingly LESS polite and respectful....they are turning into wild, unruly, disrespectful, embarrassed to go into public with children.
Today was the last straw for me....picture this: Me on the phone with the bank over a $260 charge that has been taken out of our personal checking account that is 110% not ours...me trying to walk to a quieter portion of the house because the 2 older boys are getting loud, while walking away I am waving my hand at them to hush. 10 seconds later Jakeb walks into my room LOUDLY saying "MOMMY, MOMMY, EXCUSE ME, MOMMY!" I shoot him a shut-up look and shove him out of my room....5 seconds later I hear a very loud slap on bare skin....1/2 a second later I hear Zachary scream as loud as he possibly can...and then Jakeb start yelling that he didn't mean to hit him that hard and that he hit him first...2 seconds later Zachary starts trying to come into the room crying loudly. At this point my blood is boiling. I quickly get off the phone with the woman and apologize. Miraculously do not flip out on the children but instead snatch their little arms and march them to their rooms where they have been sitting for the past hour. I am STILL furious with them for that behavior.
I get that kids fight and kids get rowdy but that doesn't make it ok. Jakeb gets 2 pts for saying Excuse Me...but then looses 3 for yelling it at me while on the phone...and looses more than I can count for smacking his brother. So I call my mother to vent and bitch about their behavior. Come to the conclusion that I need to seriously stick to what I say and follow thru. Zachary yesterday got on the phone with a friend of mine...this friends children are VERY well behaved and polite. Before Zachary got on the phone I listened to her 7 year old speak so politely to his mother..."Yes mam, no mam, thank you" etc. And then Zachary gets on and the first thing he yells into the phone at her is "PEACE OUT, YO!" Are you kidding me!?! Yes that's my child...nice. So it's on...seriously I am done with the disrespect.
What's bad is after I got off the phone with my mother I sat down and was watching a show on Disney with sassy, rude, disrespectful children....first off I felt like my parents for thinking that because I remember my dad saying the same things about sitcoms. and secondly I see SO many kids like that....just down right rude. No I don't think TV is to blame but TV in combination with no discipline or discussions about the behavior= a bad result. So with that being said we are officially onto Behavior Reform. Wish me luck Jakeb shouldn't be too hard to steer straight...but Zman aka wild child aka Monkey Man....um yeah not so easy. And I won't even mention Gavin.
No comments:
Post a Comment