Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Birdy bird birdy

Growing up my grandfather was bound to a wheelchair, a car accident as a young adult and there he was spending the rest of his life sitting.  He made the most of it I suppose and kept himself involved in various wheelchair sports, landed himself in the Wheelchair Basketball Hall of Fame.  But by the time I was around and old enough to remember a good deal of his time ended with him in his bed....directly next to his bed was a giant picture window and right outside of that window was home to bird feeders.  I don't know how many but it was a bunch and my grandparents kept them filled all year battled with squirrels and other pesky little things eating up all the seeds.   Consequently I feel a little drawn to birds...I have feeders here but I keep them filled about 3 time a year, I try!  
Except I  have what seems to be an affinity for random bird incidents.  However they aren't sweet birds chirping at me or showing up nearby at random times....they involve death and poop and wtf just happened moments.  This morning I took the kids to school got home and decided to fill up the baby pool for the little ones and have some outside play today...did some piddling around in the yard.  Ran my hand thru my hair and discovered something dry and crusty...I knew it was bird shit and yep a quick glance it sure was.  Who knows how long it was there....Hardy har birds hardy har...Not the first time they have gotten me either.  Pretty sure this makes #3.  Also pretty sure I heard them in the trees cackling.   In TN we had a dying turkey mysteriously end up in our 6 foot fenced yard best guess after inspecting around was that the darn thing flew up over our fence and slammed itself into the side of our house.  Dunno why it did that but poor thing kicked the bucket.  Slammed a pigeon into my windshield driving 70 mph down the interstate as the poor thing desperately tried to fly faster than my car in the pouring rain in the fast lane...basically I was stuck and his butt slammed into my window.  Slaughtered a duck while, again, cruising down a road in the pouring rain didn't see it until it was too late and klonk clanked his head and sent feathers flying.  Whoops.  Watched many a hawk swoop in and snag a pour tiny critter right out of the grass.  We have had birds in the garage and birds in the house.
You know it may be Mother Nature in general...found a snake in my bathroom when it fell.out.at.my.feet.  I died a little there.  Discovered a chipmunk in the laundry basket AFTER I picked up the clothes and it fell out--thankfully back into the basket.  As a kid I managed to step in cow poop waiting for the bus and then sat on my foot...had to call home for new clothes as I was covered in manure.  Come up on deer at various startling moments.  Had a snake slither between my feet while standing in a pile of leaves...on the edge of a cliff.  Basically I think I have a mark on me and these little critters like to just keep me on my toes.   It's ok I will keep on keeping on with my Snow White self....or wait...I don't think that's quite right either.

No comments:

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed